Wandering and Wondering

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Rainy Days

London weather sucks. There is no denying it. Even though it is supposed to be summer, it has been cold and rainy here almost every day for the last 3 weeks. At least there are lots of good museums and exhibitions where you can escape the weather. Last week I went to the Star Wars exhibition to watch this little kid doing battle with Darth Vader:

Luke Skywalker wannabe


This week I've had a cold, so I haven't been doing all that much except for lying in bed and reading some books (I just finished George Orwell's "1982" and "Animal Farm") or watching a bit of Wimbledon on the TV (when it hasn't been rained out).

The place where I've been staying for the last couple of weeks is called Finsbury Residences. It is student accomodation owned by City University which they rent out over the summer months when most of the students are away on vacation. I'd definitely recommend the place to anyone looking for budget accomodation. In my opinion it is much better than a backpacker's hostel (you get your own room for a start) for about the same price. It is in a pretty good location as well. From my window you can view both St Paul's Cathedral and the London Eye (you may need to click on the image to view the large size to be able to actually make them out in this photo):

Rainy view


Today I'm pretty much fully recovered from my cold, so I did manage to make it outside my room to watch some street acrobatics as part of the City of London Festival:

Spinning through the air


While walking around the streets, I also noticed the following building which looks like a Borg spaceship from Star Trek:

The Borg


And that's about all there is to report for the last week or so. Unfortunately nothing much interesting happens when you're in bed all day. Tomorrow I plan on heading out to the famous Camden Markets, and then on Sunday I'm off to Bristol to visit old friends Ian and Gez, so I should have a bit more to talk about in my next blog.

No comments: