Wandering and Wondering

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Religion and Football in Italy

For the final project in my photojournalism class that I've been working on for the last couple of months, I chose to compare and contrast two of the most dominant aspects of Italian culture: religion (Catholicism) and football (or "calcio" as they call it here). With that said, I'll leave the photos to speak for themselves. Let me know what you think.

The crowd awaits the "explosion"Football fans


Lofty ceiling of the DuomoView from the top


Ceramic artFootball regalia


A prayer amid the chaosPraying for a goal


Shrine to the Virgin Mary on the street in FlorenceFootball glory during Italy's fascist era


Huddle of ministersTeam huddle


Holding up the Holy GirdleCampioni del mondo! (Champions of the world!)


Mourners at the crucifixion of Jesus
Football in the park

No comments: