Wandering and Wondering

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Happy Easter! (Buona Pasqua!)

As you can imagine, Easter is a pretty important celebration in Italy and there are a number of different activities happening in and around Florence over the Easter weekend. When I was riding my bike home this evening I stumbled on a parade of people carrying a cross into the SS. Annunziata church. Tomorrow, for Good Friday, I plan on heading out to the small town of Grassina, just outside Florence, to watch a parade and re-enactment of the Passion of the Christ. On Easter Sunday there is a ceremony that is performed in front of the Duomo in Florence called Scoppio del Carro, which means "explosion of the cart". Basically, they parade a cart laden with fireworks through the streets of Florence, and when they reach the Duomo they set it off (I know you'd like it Ben). Sounds like fun.

2 comments:

Boots in the Oven said...

Buona Pasqua anche a te! Did you go to the Scoppio del Carro? It was CROWDED. It's almost like tourist season has started.

My 84-year-old grandmonther, who is perhaps 4 feet 8 inches tall, couldn't see anything. But she stuck it out and we got some great pictures!

Darren said...

Yeah, even though the weather is a lot nicer now, I think I prefer Florence in winter when there are less tourists around. I got to Scoppio del Carro at around 10.30am, so I didn't get a very good position, but I still got some good photos. They are now posted on my Flickr site.