Wandering and Wondering

Monday, March 5, 2007

Smashing Pumpkins: Grunge is Back


When the Smashing Pumpkins split up in 2000, I was disappointed that I hadn't had the chance to see them play live. Five years later I was extremely privileged to be able to see Billy Corgan (the lead singer) play an intimate acoustic show to an audience of only 400 people in Sydney, which I would rate in my top 3 music gigs of all time (the other two probably being the U2 Vertigo show in Sydney, and the Foo Fighters "Skin and Bones" acoustic show at the Sydney Opera House).

You can thus imagine my surprise when I saw the Smashing Pumpkins on the front cover of a music magazine while browsing through a music store in Vienna over the weekend. I wasn't sure if I was reading correctly, but yes, the Pumpkins are going to be touring various locations around Europe this summer. I may try and get tickets to the concert in Venice. Anyone going to be in the region who wants to join me? [Sorry Keong, I know you're going to be jealous. Hopefully they'll make it to Oz soon].

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh my god, I'd love to go to Venice to see the Pumpkins! I'm from Chicago originally, and I remember when I was in high school you just couldn't get away from them...

Unfortunately, we're out of Florence by then. I really hope you find someone to go with you!